Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer time...

I've been bad about posting recently! Once the fall starts to hit, hopefully I will have some more focus. I've been so busy with work and trying to do fun summer activities...

Last weekend we took a trip for my birthday up to the San Juan islands. That involved driving up to Anacortes, leaving our car in the parking lot, getting on the ferry with our bikes, riding a ferry an hour or so across the water to Friday Harbor, and then biking to our vacation rental (only half a mile from the Friday Harbor). I have better pictures but can't seem to place my camera. These are all from my phone for now.
Very foggy on our ride over.
Fog and little islands in the Puget Sound

About to dock at Friday Harbor

Our rental was the room right at the front of this house (with the porch)
 On Saturday we biked 10 miles across the island through farm land to get to the part of the island that is closest to the ocean. That is where the best Orca whale watching spots were. However, once we got there we found out that the Orca population that typically spends all summer in the area hasn't been around all year. There are no chinook salmon in the area for them to eat, so they didn't come into the area at all. It was pretty sad. We didn't end up eating any seafood that weekend, because, as Brad said "we have other options," but the whales don't.
Lighthouse where the whale watching should have happened.
We ended up just spending the day tide-pooling. And we saw a harbor seal or two. And we saw a ton of deer on our bike ride.

This was on our way back, it was much clearer out!

We did something extra special on this past Friday. Brad got us tickets for a dinner/dancing cruise on the sound. It was very romantic and fun and the waiters were really nice. We had a booth with a view out the window.
Before leaving the dock on the dinner cruise.

At the front of the boat.
Not to many people went out on the deck, so we did!

Not really an amazing picture, but the views were cool.

The Saturday we drove an hour and a half to Olympia for a BBQ for my office, hosted by a coworker. We had a lot of fun and Brad got to meet all my coworkers (and I got to meet their families). Brad and I, along with some of the other younger people in the office, camped in the woods behind the house.

We made it home this morning and then I went to a "hot" yoga class with a group of girls I met through a MeetUp.com. Basically you can go to the website and join groups of people who get together for activities that you want to do as well. And today they got us a free class at a new yoga studio. The room was heated to around 85 degrees and we seriously sweated our butts off for an hour! But I enjoyed it. I was slipping around on my yoga mat so much from all the sweat, I was thankful I brought a full-size towel.

Next weekend we are having the FIRST visitor to our house in Seattle; Bradley's college friend who lives in Eugene, OR is driving up here. They are going to go on a long bike ride and camping in the evening. So I will have the house to myself for a Saturday night! Not sure what kind of trouble I will get into. But since I am reading for three different book clubs I'm trying to be a part of, reading may be a big part of that evening.

Other than that, work has been really hard and tiring. I'm working on writing a lot of documents that are hard to really get my head around.

I miss everyone, though I know I should be thankful that I have so much great stuff going on around me here. Starting to plan our holiday vacation back to Atlanta to visit! And I can't wait for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment