As we were pulling up (along with two girls from my exercise meetup group) we were informed that there would be no where to check our gear because the tent blew over. We can only assume that means it blew away (down a hill, over the cliff?) irreparably. We got there early but ended up waiting in the car because it was so cold outside. We wrapped duct tape around our shoes and ankles to help keep them on our feet (since we were stepping in mud) to keep the laces secured so they wouldn't get caught on anything.
Once it was time to go we were led down a huge muddy hill to the start of the race where they explained that this race was just for fun, it isn't timed, and you don't have to do any obstacles you don't feel comfortable with. My team and I did a little team cheer and we were off! The first bit of the race was mostly running up hills, with a few mud puddles to run through (that were 15 feet long but not deep). There were also a few trenches to jump over. I think our first main obstacle was a waist deep mud pit that you entered after climbing a hill of dirt. You had to use a rope to pull yourself out and into the next mud pit. Then it was up a hill to a net you had to climb over. After that the order gets blurry, but there was a really long slip and slide down a hill, a mud pit that you had to crawl through under wires, several other waist deep pits to wade through, a wall to climb with a rope, tires to climb over, etc etc. I was shocked that I was able to do all of the obstacles, especially climbing the wall using the knotted rope, because there were almost no foot holds.
As a team we made it through all of the events. At the end you climb up a net and then down a wall to a really long slip and slide. But when we got over the wall, there was a girl at the bottom of the slide that was hurt, so we just scrambled down the hill to finish.
I think there will be more photos in a few days on the mud factor website (I know the photographer got a lovely shot of me emerging from the crawling mud pit), but here are two we took (it was way too cold to take more).
![]() |
| Before! We were huddled in the car to keep warm. And the bandanas were given to us to wear, with the race logo on them. |
![]() |
| Here we are after! Not the best look for most of us but we didn't lose our bandanas! |
In about the middle of the race one of my friends told me about a bacterial infection she got after a mud run...not what I wanted to hear. I worried about it for a little while but at this point I think I am fine (its been over 24 hours). I did get a nasty bruise on my hand, but that will heal. I was technically lacking health insurance this whole past week (until tomorrow), so I was genuinely worried about getting hurt or sick.
I'm pretty glad it is over, though I am very proud that I completed it. I don't think I will be signing up for any more strenuous obstacle runs any time soon (in one called Tough Mudder they actually have electrified wires and everyone gets electric shocks!). I think for the most part they are for crazy young people who never had to face the true horror of trench warfare (Brad kept saying he felt like we were on a death march) and want to think they could have done it. But who knows...I just signed up because the girls in my group invited me and I wanted to make friends!
However, I will be signing up for a Pumpkin Dash 5K that the Zoo is putting on at the end of October, costumes encouraged! I am thinking of stamping cheetah spots on some yellow running gear and painting my face. Registration includes a free pass to the zoo!!! Can't wait for that!
Also, planning to make this recipe for buckeyes for our neighborhood's halloween party so that I can eat a few without having to eat them all. Drooling just looking at them...


No comments:
Post a Comment