Friday, November 8, 2013

Emergency Preparedness Update!

So, last weekend we had a terrible storm in the morning (mostly just wind) that resulted in two huge trees at the end of our block BLOWING over and hitting a utility pole (and a house). We heard a huge crash before the power went out. Walking down the street confirmed it. The cops even had to block off the road.

Anyway, our power was out for the entire day. Also, because it was the end of the week, we didn't have much food in the house, and the only thing we could eat without cooking was cereal! We had to go to the store for provisions. Thankfully, the grocery store still had power. But it everything in the area had been out of power or if the roads were un-drive-able, I am not sure what we would have done. I hadn't gotten many of my emergency supplies (that I recently blogged about) prepared!

Today I went down the street to the discount grocery store to get a few cheap non-perishables for future emergency situations. I eventually need to get a few days worth, but getting a little at a time will help it fit with our regular grocery budget. In order to figure out how much I really got, I have tallied the calories below.

Kashi Granola Bars                1020
Mini Spooners (cereal)           1710
Wasabi edamame                    720
Saltines                                1800
Kosher Dill Pickles…                  0
Canned Sweet Peas                 350
Canned sliced pears                 700
Canned mandarin oranges         400
Total                                    6700

Wow...so, that is less than 2 days worth of food for Brad and me. But its a start. I would have bought peanut butter but they only had chunky and Brad's teeth can't handle that. I also would have gotten tuna but there wasn't any (only weird other canned fish like herring and shrimp). 

But I've also been saving up juice bottles and filling them with water. I am up to 2 gallons, but the goal is 6. 

Luckily during the outage we had plenty of candles and some firewood (Brad collected extra sticks and branches from outside) to keep us warm. So I am thinking maybe I should store a bit of firewood in case that happens again. 

Should have more posts soon (exciting news!)...

No comments:

Post a Comment