Friday, June 21, 2013

Random News from the week...

  • I'm starting to recognize many of the people that I ride the bus with and some of the bus drivers as well. Though I haven't talked to anyone on the bus yet.
  • Brad and I are not yet sick of each other, which is a little surprising but good :)
  • I have been using the fact that we have only been here 3 weeks as a conversation starter with almost everyone I encounter. Its good to have even the small amount of interaction that a few minutes chatting provides. However, I know this point of conversation will expire in time...
  • This is the first job I've ever had where I actually knew it was dire that I attempt to cultivate friendly relationships (given the fact that I have no other friends). Typically I don't live in the moment enough to know how to foster friendships, but I am trying REALLY hard to listen and think of interesting personal questions to get to know people better. Today I got invited to get frozen yogurt with a few other ladies and they said "you're fitting in well" which made me smile to hear. 
  • Being able to walk home from work is nice, but its surprising how quickly the neighborhood can change if you go over a single block. Today I walked one block over from my normal walk and was passing the creepiest, haunted looking, busted up houses! Not going that route again.
  • Our new bed is so comfortable that I can't wake up in the morning. I honestly thought our old bed was comfy (though too small), that is why it took us so long to get a new one. But this new one is almost too comfortable.
  • There is a wine shop 2 blocks from our house that is really cute and fun to look around in (with reasonable ranges in price). Yesterday we went there (because our wine rack is empty!) to get a few cheap bottles and a little old Irish man said "those look like two serious oenophiles" ...to which I responded with something less eloquent than, "I don't really know anything about wine, just that I like it!" haha...it was pretty awkward (especially since Brad doesn't even like wine). But I'd like to be known for something around the neighborhood, even if it is for a love of wine!
  • Tomorrow we are going to a festival for the solstice, which is famous for the naked bike parade...should be interesting to watch!! Speaking of the solstice, we are having 16 hours of day light for a while here. Sun up at 5 am, down at 9pm. Even though Seattle is cloudy, its never so cloudy to block the sun. 
  • I know that the doctor couldn't find the cause to diagnose me with it when I got my MRI back in 2009 or whenever, but I think the problem with my hip is sciatica and it has been out of control since I started work. My whole right leg is just in agony. That is in particular why I have been trying to walk home from work often, because after sitting all day I feel terrible. I have to move it to make it feel better (which also leads me to believe it is sciatica). Usually by the end of the weekend the pain has stopped but it kicks back in full force after a few hours at work on Monday. So I have been researching exercises to do to help and am considering alternate desk set-ups at work. I'd prefer to be standing at this point. I got to walk so much in my part time school, part time work schedule in grad school that this was never a problem. 
  • I'm feeling a little bummed by the fact that I still haven't gotten to see most of the good sites in Seattle, especially the Pike Place Market. Brad and I can be bad homebodies. Its strange because if I was visiting as a tourist, I would have seen all the things I wanted to see in a few days. But because we live here and have to juggle all those normal day-to-day life things, I haven't been able to get myself in the mood for a vacation-esque day of sightseeing. With the solstice festival this weekend we will at least be out in a new area for a while...but still looking forward to going down to the market and the sound!
  • Even though I am normally terrible with directions, I'm catching on now that we live in a city with a grid system! all the avenues that run mostly North/South are numbers. I work on 4th Ave and I live on 34 Ave. So all I really have to remember are the streets running East/West, and work and home are basically both on Marion Street. Having the grid and the numbered avenues though really makes exploring less scary because its really easy to tell how far you are from home usually. 
  • I got a WA driver's license! Well, the plastic one is in the mail but I have a paper one for now. The guy at the DMV was really nice and let me re-take my photo because the first one he took was BAD hah. 
  • I keep getting calls from a place claiming to be Chase Fraud Prevention...but really its a scam and they just want me to dial in my credit card number! Twice a day now for the past two days. Its starting to freak me out. Good thing I knew better than to believe the recording!
That's probably as much random news as I have for today. I miss everyone so much, I miss having people to talk to. So feel free to call me anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment