Sunday, January 12, 2014

Brad's activities for 2014

I want to set out some more explicit goals for this year and record the details here so I can track it all better. Some of these things are common goals that Emma will probably write about too and some are individual goals. I will be updating this as I know more. Here are the things I'd like to do:

Yellowstone

Drive to Yellowstone and camp out in the wilderness for a few nights. Back country camping requires a permit. These permits are distributed by a lottery which are not processed until April 1st (i.e you need to enter the lottery by March 31st)

RAMROD

Ride Around Mt. Rainier in One Day. This is a 10,000 ft gain, 150 mile ride around Mt Rainier in the end of July. Registration is by lottery which opens in March (check back later for details). It sounds awesome and I want to do it! (95 $ registration)

Update: I registered for the lottery today! The results are posted April 5. Training rides are every Saturday. This is going to be painful.

Trail building

This is not just one thing but a general concept. I'd like to help out more with mountain bike trail building in the area here this year. I've always ridden but feel like I haven't given back as much as I should. I helped out a little this weekend on Tiger Mountain and it was a great day. I'd like to make it a habit.

Local hikes

  • Enchantments - Enchantments are nearby and awesome. How could a name like that go wrong?! Over night hiking is by lottery. The lottery opens Feb 15.
    • We entered the lottery on the last available day. Our preferences were, in order:
      •  Core Enchantment Zone, Wed Jul 9, 2014
      • Stuart Zone, Thu Jul 10, 2014
      • Eightmile/Caroline Zone, Thu Sep 25, 2014
    • We will know the results on March 9!  
  • Vesper Peak - I went here with Pat in Sept 2013 and want to go back to make it to the top of the mountain. This is just off Mountain Loop Highway.
  • Ranier - Any day hike out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment