Saturday, July 21, 2012

A riding partner

This is Bradley Handziuk. I will be "guest" writing on Emma's blog today. She wrote a little piece about her new bike and I'm going to do the same for my new bike. Thank you Emma for the venue!

The Miele Cicli as it sits today
I've been riding my dad's old Miele Cicli road bike for a while now. I rode it for the last half of college and then for the last 1-1/2 years to/from work. A beautiful, red touring bike, Canadian made with a mishmash of Shimano 600 and Sakae SX parts, it's been a dream to ride. However, last week the guide pulley came off while I was about 4 miles from home. Probably a maintenance oversight on my part but maybe just a sign of age, too. Either way it was the last straw; my mind was made up. It's was time for a new bike.

Pretty much any new road bike was going to be an improvement over the Miele. It had friction shifters on the downtube, brakes which could not be pulled on hard while my hands were on the top of the handle bars, a steel frame (although still relatively light for a steel frame, even compared to lower end modern aluminum framed bikes), and only 6 gears in the back. All of these things are designs of the past. 

After shopping around at a few shops in Durham/Raleigh area and riding several bikes I'd found a lot of features I liked on the different models. Many of the features were obvious improvements over the Miele because of modern design, but also a lot of the features I discovered I liked were subtle differences between Shimano and Sram components.

So, the final decision was the Specialized Allez Mid-Compact. I narrowed in on it because of
  • the weight: 19 lb, ~7 lb lighter than the Miele.
  • the Sram Apex drivetrain: the Double-Tap shifters are great and especially great because they are isolated from the brake system, unlike the Shimano system. And the front crankset has a 52 tooth chainring and 11 teeth on the smallest cog in the back. This will be much nicer because my legs topped out on some hills with the 52/13 combo on the Miele.
  • the COOL color! It has to be good looking right?! The Miele was so bold. My new bike had to be equally gnarly and I think it is. 
  • Oh and it was on sale at the awesome local shop The Bicycle Chain
 
I'm really happy with the pedals, too. They are SPD clipless (i.e. they have a clip, confusing. I know.) unlike the Miele's pedals which were platform pedals which had a cage/strap for a while then for the last year or so they had just a wide leather strap (which was actually a lot nicer than the cage/strap set up). I'll eventually need to buy a second pair of pedals because I want to use the same shoes to mountain bike. I guess for now I will be taking the pedals off the idle bike and placing them on the active bike until then.

I took her out for a 29 mile ride this morning to try out the experience. It felt great! No real fatigue, very comfortable, the shifting was great. What more could I want? The route was great too. There are a lot of newly paved roads just south of us but not a lot of businesses or traffic on them yet. Some intersections don't even have their traffic signals turned on. It's a great place to ride. Calm, quiet, rolling hills, and trees allover. It's right near some cool, if not short, mountain bike trails, too.

I'm very excited to get back into biking to work with this new toy. My office is about 8.5-10 miles away (depending on how trafficy of a route I am willing to take that day) and I was just not feeling it most mornings with the Miele. The tires are a little thicker on it (1.25 in on the Miele compared to 23 mm [0.9 in] on the Allez) so it rides a little slower and the heat! Oh the heat! I think I can zip to work in a reasonable amount of time with the Allez. I'll have to get up a bit earlier but that's another story....


I can't wait to get out and ride again!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations...sweet looking ride :). I did 11 miles at the alpharetta greenway yesterday on mine, it was a blast. They have tons of mountain bike trails there too for all different skill levels...not likely I'll be on them though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question though, I saw a guy on a bike with tires that look like they were flattened with a steam roller. Very wierd. Whats up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mean it had wheels that looked like either the front or the back wheels of this bike? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Dave_Zabriskie_-_USA_Pro_Time_Trial.jpg/300px-Dave_Zabriskie_-_USA_Pro_Time_Trial.jpg

    If so, those are for reducing drag. The spokes add resistance when the move through the air and these wheels either minimize (front wheel in pic) or eliminate that problem (back wheel).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, like that front wheel on both front and back. They were very narrow too so they looked like discs or something. Figured he was some sort of biking diva/priority. Not that there is anything wrong with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you should get an espresso machine. I recommend the Silvia Rancilio V3; it's a bit finicky with it's temperature surfing requirement, though the espresso you can get out of it is very good for its price! I also recommend the Hair Bender espresso blend from Stumptown:
    http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/blends-gifts/hair-bender.html

    If you get the espresso machine, I'll send you a pound of the beans.

    Hell, you could strap the machine to your bike and when you need an espresso on one of you long rides, you just have to find an outlet and a water source. I'm sure the weight of you new bike will offset the weight of the espresso machine. You potentially could also get one of those 2-wheeled child carriers that attach to the stem of you bike and pack 1) espresso machine and burr grinder 2) water jugs 3) beans 4) power source(gasoline powered generator). I see many bums around where I live do this, except their child carriers are packed with bum-stuff like dogs and glass bottles. With this setup, you could start selling espresso to those stuck in traffic on the way to work. You'd make a killing, and eventually you could work your way up to the arms dealing industry. You'd have to drop the bike then and get a boat.

    ReplyDelete