Some of you may remember last year around this time when Bradley participated in a sprint triathlon that was hosted by Duke off the coast of NC. Well, we are going out to Beaufort again the last weekend of the month for him to compete again. However one thing is different...I'm going to be in it too!!
Of course -- I am not participating as an individual, but on a team (because I would drown in about 30 seconds trying to swim in open ocean with a bunch of other people). I'll be doing the biking portion and we are in the "recreational' category, so we will be dressing up in costumes and having a laugh rather than trying to win. Our team name...the Mighty Morphing Flower Arrangers. haha...
In other news I have some photos to post from our garden.
 |
| A lot of the swiss chard that I had going died in the sun. Sigh. So now we only have this one decent sized plant and a few of our seedlings are coming out too. But still very disappointing. |
 |
| Our cherry tomato plant has been going nuts recently. Looks like of a mess here but you can see a variety of tomatoes if you look around in there! We've had whole handfulls at a time which is pretty impressive from a single plant. It'd probably be a lot better if it was growing in the ground instead of this container, but gotta do what I can. |
 |
| Our kale we planted from seeds is doing awesome. I just hope it survives to get big and produces nice leaves. The ones we planted in spring got decimated by caterpillars or something, waa! (Yes those kale are growing in a sand pail that I bought for the beach at the dollar store, don't judge). I didn't photograph our broccoli but it is doing pretty well. Our bell peppers keep getting eaten from the inside out though (don't want to talk about that). |
 |
| This morning after taking these pictures of the garden we went to the fledgling farmer's market that has cropped up in a parking lot just down the street from us. Super excited about that and hope it sticks around. So we got some eggs from Fickle Creek Farm, don't they look great? They were also selling duck eggs, which we are told are more fatty/oily tasting and really good for baking. We plan to try those another time. We also got a loaf of fresh baked rye bread and a bunch of pears! I was happy about getting the pears since I have stated previously that I wished I bought more local fruit. |
 |
| Oh and this is our clothes line which I have been actually using! My grandma was obviously right when she told me that hanging indoors makes the clothes dry really stiff, but for hand towels, socks, and these jersey material biking shirts/shorts that Bradley wears that isn't a big deal. Its kind of fun but I need clothes pins. Oh and because our washing machine is so small, what you see hanging here is almost an entire load of wash for us (minus one large bath towel and a pair of pants). So its a perfect size. Our dryer makes the most obnoxious noises and is right next to our bedroom, so I'll take the hanging method over that any day. |
We are getting ready to go to my school's "field day" and eat some free lunch. Yummy...Hope everyone is doing well. I wish I could come back and visit as I hear that the baby is eating food now and I'd like to get some videos of that :( missing out on all the fun being stuck here in Durham.
No comments:
Post a Comment